A truly historical Suffolk Estate originally founded in the 1800's. The Ogilvie family were responsible for the building of Thorpeness, a wonderful Victorian holiday village which continues to be a popular Suffolk coastal holiday destination to this day.
The black sands (reclaimed heathland), are very important in providing security of supply to Parsnip production as they are able to withstand high levels of rainfall and still "travel" with machinery. The water resources are solely from winterfill reservoirs, ensuring that it has a sustainable supply of water throughout the summer, with a reservoir capacity of 125,000 m³.
The estate has a 1,000 acre block of heathland maintained by the RSPB which has a resident herd of Red Deer. The entire estate is within the HLS scheme.